Legal Instrument for the Control of Small Arms and light Weapons in Central Africa
The UNPoA on SALW adopted in July 2001 and its implementation review conference held in July 2006 both emphasized the importance of developing regional legal instrument to curb the proliferation of SALW, and highlighted the significant contribution of such instruments to greater regional security and stability.In this context, the General Secretariat of ECCAS has requested the assistance of the UNODA, through its Regional centre for peace and disarmament in Africa (UNREC), to elaborate a regional legal instrument on SALW that would reflect the specific geopolitical situation and security needs of Central African States.
- Joint ECCAS/UNODA project for the elaboration of a legal instrument on SALW in the context of the UN Standing advisory committee on security questions in Central Africa (UNSAC)
- Ultimately, the adoption of this instrument by the Head of States in the Sub-region.
- Elaboration of a draft legal instrument, accompanied by a detailed implementation plan and an Aide-mémoire recording the “travaux préparatoires”;
- Workshop of non-governmental experts to review the drafts;
- Meeting of governmental experts to review the drafts;
- Elaboration of the second draft of the two documents;
- Second workshop of non-governmental experts to review the consolidated second draft;
- Second meeting of governmental experts to review the consolidated second draft;
- Mention of the legal instrument in the resolution of the first committee of the GA of the UN;
- Ministerial meeting (UNSAC) to review and approve the legal instrument and its plan of action;
- Adoption of the legal instrument during a meeting (UNSAC) of Head of States.
- Development of national rules and legislations on the issues of SALW control;
- Enhancing of regional security and confidence, as the legal instrument represents a common strategy to fight the proliferation of SALW;
- Enhancing national capacity on SALW issues;
- Enhancing of the capacity of ECCAS in the field of peace and security.
- Reports: 25th, 26th and 27th meetings of UNSAC
- Publications: Etude de faisabilité de la CEEAC + Document sur les éléments de l’Instrument juridique (UNREC)